Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had an accident a few weeks ago with a major trucking

Customer Question
I had an accident...

I had an accident a few weeks ago with a major trucking company and they are wanting to screw me around on paying me for loss wages.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this wage-and-hour issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

They are basing it on a day.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

The job is based off commission

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/29/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Well the company that I was involved in the accident with wants to short change me for my time down from work.

I'm sorry to hear about that. Have you complained to the appropriate people regarding this?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Well I have been talking with the senior claims rep. With the company that owes me.

I see. Have they told you what basis they made their decision to offer you what they did?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
They told me they would pay a maximum of $150 for down time they stated that the repairs for my truck should be done within a reasonable time and they allowed 14 days. So they are wanting to pay me $150 a day for 14 days. But it took 12 days for them to even agree on the estimate that was sent to them. And it was on the 14th day before I received the funds to start repairs on my truck.

I'm thinking you may need to try something else.

At times, an employee may need to file a wage claim to recoup the money they were supposed to be paid. Sometimes, this money could be money that was not paid as promised or could be money that was inadvertently withheld by the employer (e.g. they took out too much for health care). Every state and the U.S. government have a process that an employee can follow to get a return on their wages. The government acts as the go-between for the employer and the employee. They have the authority to investigate and make a final determination on whether wages were to supposed to be owed. The wise thing to do is to provide whatever documentation is necessary to make the government’s job easier. It’s important to remember that they are unfamiliar with an employer’s policies, wage scales, compensation plans, bonus schemes, etc. so if an employee provides much of that information in an organized manner in advance, then they are going to be in good shape. If a person has a complaint regarding wages, they can actually just click here and follow the rules on how to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?