Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Am a black female truckdriver and the only 1 with the

Customer Question
Am a black female...

Am a black female truckdriver and the only 1 with the company i was let go from my job by the safety dep. at my job they accused me of 4 violation's and they accused me of causing trailer damage to 1 of their trailer for which I did not do, violation were cell phone use I use my cell phone for GPS and finding customer's and other informatiom i drive over 100's of miles a day and pickup drop signaI's in some area did not use my seat belt only for a few moment's when I was moving a short distance to a safer location I did past 2 stop sign for which I was wrote up for. in my search for direction's to street's or turn's. company has camera on truck but i did not reck a trailer and drop it at a customer damage. safety dep Tony Black and other staff said i had done it was a unfair firing .

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I did speak to owner of company which he stated that because it was safety they could not do anything about the firing

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Am not sure what at will employee is and if i am do that give they the right to lie in me this is my drivin record not wearing seat belt using cell phone i have over 16 year's of tractor trailer experience

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 25 days ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your difficulty.

Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Do you have a written employment contract, for a fixed term, requiring cause for demotion, discipline or termination?

Do you believe you are being treated differently than other employees due to your gender, race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?