Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am having issues with my employer ,, we doesn't us to take…

Customer Question
I am having issues...

I am having issues with my employer ,, we doesn't us to take breaks or a lunh after working over 8 hours and if we decide to leave after our 8 hours he threat us calling in job abandiment

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

The only person is the owner and he is the one tellin g this to all of us and what we dont like is that he gives everyone else a break up they are all white people dont mean to sound racist but everyone else that works with me is hispanic or mexican it a resturant and I just think and we all feeling the samme way he is working us to the bones

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No we don t I know it would had been easier but we dont have that

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats just it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/29/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Two things.

1. What state are you in?

2. Are you saying that the boss only gives white people breaks, but not the Hispanics?

In Washington State,, and yes too your other question

Ok. Washington State requires breaks of 10 minutes for every 4 hours worked. Additionally, if the employer is allowing some people breaks and not others, and it appears the reasoning is racially motivated, that is a violation of the law.

You can file a complaint with the EEOC in your state, a government agency that is tasked with investigating discrimination. You can also contact the Washington State Department of Labor to file a complaint against the employer for not allowing the breaks.

Both of these are protected complaints, meaning that if the employer retaliates, they subject themselves to lawsuits for retaliation as well as discrimination.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

If we all coworkers file a lawsuit are we subject to termination ?

Termination would be retaliation, which I noted before would be illegal.

The employer can certain choose to do it, but that makes them subject to retaliation claims by the EEOC.

okay thank you

Take care and please rate my service.