Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a compnay that gave me an orintation manual in…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a compnay that gave me an orintation manual in 2014 I read it it said nothing about giving a 3 week notice to get my earned PTO I have given my two weeks noticed and was informed I would not get my PTO they said I did some online education where they told me this was the policy. and I out my PTO?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Manager and HR

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been here for 5 years my PTO is one thousand eight hundred dollars

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/29/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 20 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What state is this in?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Iowa

Thank you for your reply.

Under IA law they state that PTO is only due to the employee upon termination if the employer has a pattern and practice of paying such pay upon termination or if the employer has a written agreement to make such payment upon termination.

The orientation guide is not a binding contract, so whether it was in there or not, that would not prove you were or were not entitled to the payment. If they claim you were told this in an online class, the can produce proof you took the online class. However, the IA law does not say they have to inform you of this, the law says only they have to pay if they have a contract with you saying they have to pay or if you can prove they have a practice of paying other employees in such a situation.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.