Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My salary is always lower than same position co-workers,

Customer Question
My salary is always...

My salary is always lower than same position co-workers, because 12 years ago when I joined the company, HR said it's mandatory to provide my previous payroll which I didn't want to, as my previous company had financial issue and didn't give us an increase for many years. Even I had a very high performance review score every year, my salary is still much less than my current co-workers. Can I fight my current company?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I discussed with my current manager several times, he said he couldn't help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No, I don't belong to a union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if I can fight my salary

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/28/2018
Employment Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 25 days ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I find it very unusual that you were required to provide your prior payroll information to this employer. That does not mean it is illegal for them to ask for it, but it is unusual to do more than simply ask someone if they are willing to share their current salary/wage. If others doing the same job are paid more than you are I am sure that is incredibly frustrating. Unfortunately, it is not illegal to pay two employees doing the same job different wages. It is illegal if the reason for the way difference is due to discrimination. In other words, if you are being paid less because of your age, gender, race, religion then that may create a potential legal claim. If you are, on the other hand, simply paid less because your employer knows you were paid less at a previous job and didn't want to pay more than they had to to get you to take the job, that is unfortunate and not necessarily good business, but it is not illegal.

I wish I had better news for you. If you need additional information, feel free to reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thanks Wendy. Sounds like I can't fight against my current company for my low salary. I'm a woman, a minority and stay with current company since 2005. I know I can look for other opportunities, but I still like my current company, it's so frustrating. Any suggestions?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Can I use my free call benefit now?

One option, which is sounds like you have tried, is to try to negotiate for a higher salary. One way to create some leverage on that point would be to look into other opportunities and to let your current employer know that you want to stay there but need to make a higher salary and that you would like to be paid on par with others in the same position. If all the others are of a different gender or race, you may also be able to inquire as to why men, for example, in the same position are being paid a higher wage. Just tread lightly as if you want to stay there, you don't want to create an uncomfortable environment but you also want to stand up for yourself.

I don't know how the free calls work, but I am not in a position to take calls today; I am happy to continue to discuss the issue with you via email.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thanks for your advice.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I know now California law prevents employer from asking candidate's salary. But back to 12 years ago, I was a victim. Is there anyway to fight back?
Employment Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 24 days ago

Not really - in terms of legal action - given the time that has passed and how the law has changed; but you could use that as leverage if that is the reason they are giving for your lower pay. In other words, ask if you could please be paid equal to others in your position. If they say you are making less because of where you started, you could respond by saying something like, "yes, but at that time you improperly set my salary based on requesting information about my prior salary to which I did not realize you were not entitled and now I am just asking you to make this right." How you handle it, though, will depend on how much you want to stay with this employer and how you think the employer will respond.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thanks for the advice.