Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am writing a book about working in a Psych. I changed all…

Customer Question
Hello! I am...

Hello! I am writing a book about working in a Psych ward. I changed all names and identifying information. I have not worked in that establishment for over 15 years. The book is more centered around the effect on the workers but the patient issues are discussed to show the effects on the mental health professional. I have looked up HIPPA laws but don't know where this would fall.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No. I do not work there anymore. There is no identifying info about the hospital, city or patients other than scenarios that have caused mental stress on the worker. I don't even know what kind of lawyer to ask.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

There was no union. I haven't worked there in over 15 year due to finding another career path as a teacher and writer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/28/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 28 days ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

What hospital administrators and lawyers call HIPAA violations are dramatically different. Those in the medical community tend to be hyper vigilant, so don't say band aid or the name of a drug.

In truth, unless you are making references to an individual that are so clear that someone that knows them can say "hey...that's Johnny," it is not a HIPAA violation. The issue with HIPAA is protecting the identity of the individual receiving the medical care and the type of medical care they are receiving. Making it impossible to discuss the medical situations themselves was never the intent of HIPAA and it would actually harm medicine as a whole, because so much is learned from anecdotal discussions of what happened during different procedures and how to improve on them.

Just protect the identities of the individuals.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you so much for your advice!

Good luck going forward and happy writing.