Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Working for a company in Massachusetts in a Supervisor role.

Customer Question
Working for a company...

Working for a company in Massachusetts in a Supervisor role. An associate that I brought up to the attention of management for violating company policy and hostility brought allegations against me and on Thursday I was called in to HR and informed of the allegations and was asked for a statement which I gave. They sent me home pending an investigation and on Friday after 6 I receive a call stating my termination. Do I have any recourse as this incident or allegations never happened?!

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I was called by the HR manager notifying me of the termination

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Not sure who it was discussed with

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

At Will

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Still here waiting for a response as to any recourse I can take?

I am sorry to hear of your difficulty.

Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Do you have a written employment contract, for a fixed term, requiring cause for demotion, discipline or termination?

Do you believe you are being treated differently than other employees due to your gender, race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

No. I don’t have a contract. I do believe I am being treated differently. This alleged incident never took place

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Without a written employment contract requiring cause for demotion or termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as "office politics" and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know, as your satisfaction with my service is important to me.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.