Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was physically assaulted by one of the residents at a

Customer Question
I was physically assaulted...

I was physically assaulted by one of the residents at a group home for mentally ill clients. I was following a resident who was attempting to elope and he turned around and grabbed me by the arm and hit me in the face 3-4 times leaving me with a broken nose and severe bruising.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes, managers know and i am waiting to hear from a law firm, but it being the holiday weekend, i can't do much until tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will and hourly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/29/2018
Employment Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer
Because this was an injury that occurred at work, you will most likely be filing a Worker’s Compensation claim for damages. If the employer does not take the proper action after the holiday., You should go to HR and asked that a workers comp claim be initiated on your behalf so that you can get medical treatment paid for. If you need time off from work due to the assault you can ask for FMLA protection of your job While you take time to heal both physically and emotionally after the trauma. This request should be supported by a doctors note if you make it. Good luck to you, and if I have answered all of your concerns regarding this incident please reward me with a positive rating of five stars so that I may get credit for this session
Employment Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
Hello? Did you have any other questions about this issue. Unless you accept the answer & provide a rating, this question remains on my list for resolution. Happy to discuss further if you need me to! Just let me know? Thanks!
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you. This is covered bt workers comp. But there should be more compensation other than wages and medical bills.
Agreed. The only other way to recover more is to make a third party claim against the individual who assaulted you. Other than that workers comp is supposed to make you “whole” (in theory).