Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am experiencing discrimination at work because I am not a…

Customer Question
I am experiencing discrimination...

I am experiencing discrimination at work because I am not a member of the free masons. Favoritism is shown towards fellow employees who are members of the masons, what can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this discrimination issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

It is the manager of my department that is doing it. He also states anti christian comments towards me. I am currently looking for other employment to avoid these situations. The owner of the company and other workers are all members too,but I refuse to join.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will employee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No sir.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/27/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 27 days ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, that is not a legally recognized form of discrimination. An employer often discriminates based on numerous factors; however, the government has only made a very few illegal.

Race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use discrimination. Free masonry is not a religion, but rather, an affiliation or club. As such, discriminating in favor of members of that same association is not any more illegal than favoring fans of the Steelers (also not illegal), or any other number of associations which should have no bearing on employment, but legally can.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 26 days ago

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.