Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can an employer stipulate a date of termination of

Customer Question
Can an employer stipulate...

Can an employer stipulate a date of termination of employment in a contract that was drawn up 2 months after the employee was verbally employed without such mention?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No discussion whatsoever. The contract was simply emailed to the employee by a manager.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

I is a warehouse managerial position and monthly salaried. The employee was approached and employed after 2 days observation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, the salary agreed on and that has been paid to date has been lowered substantially in the contract without discussion or mention.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/27/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 27 days ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

The verbal contract, by its very nature, is an "at will" agreement. That means that it can be altered at any time, with or without cause, as long as you have notice of the change before you start working under it.

The new contract gives you that written notice. So yes, on the facts you've indicated here, the employer can make this change.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.