Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Iwork as a for a congreget housing program. I have worked…

Customer Question
Hi,Iwork as a cook...

Hi,Iwork as a cook for a congreget housing program. I have worked here for 4 months. my employer is demanding that I take on housecleaning duties including cleaning toilets or else have my salary reduced by 20%. This is extortion. I have refused. What are my options?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes, with my manaer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union. The job description didn't include any "housekeeping description

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They also renigged on the salary quoted in the initial posting.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/26/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

I can't imagine how frustrating this is. However, unless you had a contract guaranteeing your original terms of employment for a set period of time, the law presumes your employment to be "at will." As such the employment can be terminated or modified at any time for virtually any reason. You are not required to perform the job duties now being requested of you or to work for a lower rate of pay, but by that same token your employer is not required to continue employing you. Employment is ultimately just a voluntary relationship between two parties, and if those two parties cannot agree on terms for the employment that are mutually acceptable, then there is no employment relationship.

It might be possible to quit and collect unemployment benefits on the ground that no reasonable person would have remained employed, given these changes to the job. There is some amount of risk in doing that, though, since eligiblity for unemployment benefits is decided on a case by case basis and there is no way to know for sure if you will be approved. Still, if this employment is no longer bearable, that might be an option that someone in your situation would wish to consider.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications, and the information provided is not legal advice.