Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Am i qualify for UI if i quit because the private

Customer Question
Hi. am i qualify...

Hi. am i qualify for UI if i quit because the private investigator hired by the company could not find a good evident that my boss was discriminating me and she advised me to resign and move on from the employer and the boss that was causing me to feel uncomfortable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this discrimination issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HR and the CEO as involved. they hired the private investigator her advise was to resign and with severance for 3 months

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It was either quit or continue feeling uncomfortable and miserable at work

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/25/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

Unfortunately, resigning will generally disqualify you from benefits because, by definition, a resignation means you are voluntarily choosing to become unemployed. A person is only eligible for benefits if they are unemployed through no fault of their own. What you would have to prove is that the work environment was so hostile and unbearable that no reasonable person could have remained employed. Essentially, that you were "forced" to resign and had no actual choice in the matter. This is obviously tough to establish, but it would typically be the only path to benefits based on the facts you have described. You certainly have nothing to lose by trying to make this argument.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications, and the information provided is not legal advice.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
would my situation consider a "good cause"?

Good cause is that no reasonable person could remain employed under the circumstances. You would present evidence of the hostility, humiliation, etc. that you suffered in this position and then there is a factual question for the unemployment office to decide as to whether you meet the standard.