Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My boss is not letting me work ,says there's not enough

Customer Question
My boss is not...

My boss is not letting me work ,says there's not enough work. But they're are new employees that are working. My problem is this is a somewhat family business

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

This is somewhat family owned business. My best friend that is worki g there got me the job. He got the job because his girlfriends dad is the owner. Well i was living with my girlfriend on this million dollar property where we to care of all the farm animals. Now chloe the owners daughter and hunter the boyfriend my best friend always came over to visit spend the night or just hang out after work. So march 27 they came over as usuall and i took him and another one of his friends on the polaris on the propery . Hunter was the only one wearing a seat belt. But because both hunter and his friend were on the same side it tipped over ,hunter couldn't get out and he broke his leg. So of course he got attorney and sewing homeowners insurance. Now he suing the homeowner and me. Which is fine this is a lawsuit that will have to go through courts. In the mean time evdrything was just fine before this accident.now my boss tells me theres no work but all these new people get to work. Ive always been a great worker on time help everyone. Can you help me

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No i dont belong to anything. Im 19. I even got evicted off the property because of accident. I have no place to live and now my job is not letting me work

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/25/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your difficulty.

Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Do you have a written employment contract, for a fixed term, requiring cause for demotion, discipline or termination?

Do you believe you are being treated differently than other employees due to your gender, race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

I have no written documents and yes everyone walks around talking then when I come around they stop. But main concern is I want to work and now he claims not enough work when the new employees are working. I think he’s trying to get me to quit. But that not right. I’ve done so much for this family. And if I do have to quit I want to show them they can’t do this legally or play the good ole boy system.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Without a written employment contract requiring cause for demotion or termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as "office politics" and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know, since your satisfaction with my service is important to me.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

I’m not paying anymore money. I’ve fell for a trick as usual. You want to give me advice? Then go ahead. I want pay another cent
Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue until you are satisfied.