Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I lost custody of my kids last week. There were details at…

Customer Question
I lost custody of my...
I lost custody of my kids last week. There were details at the domestic relations court, in the judges final court order, that described neglect and abuse by me towards the kids. I had planned to begin the police academy this year. Would I not be hired for a job as a police officer due to this.
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/25/2018
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 27 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The custody case is in domestic relations, not juvenile court. My ex and I got a divorce at domestic relations.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Children services investigated and their finding was, neglect indicated, abuse unsubstantiated.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I did not lose parenting rights.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I have unsupervised visitation three days per week.
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 27 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Is there an open criminal case? Has there been one in the past?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No open criminal case. Not NJ ow or in the past.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Will a police department take a look at the judges final order?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Or only at criminal?
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 27 days ago

Thanks for clarifying.

It appears then that these were unsubstantiated allegations that took place.

If there is no criminal record, and if there was no civil order entered granting the termination of parental rights -- then no this should not be something that would pose a hindrance to joining the police academy.

No, the language in the judge's final order of a civil or family court case is not something that the academy generally reviews.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I need to know if I would be barred from employment not the police academy
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 27 days ago

Yes I understand, let me clarify -- if these were simply unsubstantiated allegations that were found to be untrue, ie. there were no criminal convictions or no involuntary termination of parental rights -- then no, this should not be a hindrance to employment.

The contents of the judge's final order in a civil or family court matter is also something that would not generally be reviewed.

I hope that help clarify! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

If not, don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok thank you.
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 27 days ago

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate before leaving, thank you!

Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 23 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!