Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I acted according to client's written request but was

Customer Question
I acted according to...

I acted according to client's written request but was discharged anyway for violating firm policy by falsely attesting I spoke to client to verify authorization to send his sensitive client info to his auditor (as done in prior years). Will I be able to collect NJ unemployment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I don't belong to a union

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/8/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Please ignore any reports from the site regarding your expert being offline, they are incorrect.

Violating employer policy can indeed be grounds for denial of unemployment based on it being considered termination for good cause. However, you have a mitigating factor if you have written request from the client to act as you did and you can show this is a common practice with the employer, then you can appeal any denial of unemployment and argue that this was not significant misconduct as it was an accepted practice AND was authorized by the client.

In any unemployment appeal, you need to use a local NJ unemployment attorney and they do not charge up front, they charge a small percentage of the benefits they collect for you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Unfortunately, although the client signed an authorization request,I lied to management saying I spoke to client so I'm guessing this is considered significant misconduct and I have no case, correct?

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, yes, if that is what happened, truthfulness to the employer, regardless of the reason, is considered good cause to deny unemployment benefits.