Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If a problematic hourly employee suddenly provides you with…

If a problematic hourly employee...
If a problematic hourly employee suddenly provides you with 2 weeks notice, do you have to pay them for the 2 weeks if you ask them to leave early? (State of Texas)
5/8/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Assuming there is no written agreement with the employee to the contrary, you have no legsl obligation to continue the employement after the resignation. You can legally tell them to leave immediately and not to return.
In other words, you have no legsl obligation to retain them for the 2 weeks. You need only pay them for the time they actually worked on the clock.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Are you online with me?
Loren, Lawyer