Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In Ca... can an employer mandate you must come in on your…

Customer Question
In Ca... can an...

In Ca... can an employer mandate you must come in on your regular day off for doing mandated re-orientation and TB testing requirements without pay? Or is it like a meeting? They must pay and what is minimum time they must pay (2 hours I have heard?)?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this wage-and-hour issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Another workplace.... that does pay.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will job is hourly I am not salary

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No... just wondering.. This job says its always done it this way (m,w, f) day shift (we are hospital, 24/7 hours of operation)

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/1/2018
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 25 days ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

An employer is allowed to require employees to come in on their usual day off, however, they must pay the employee. Time spent doing training or testing is considered work time, and it has to be paid. They're supposed to pay for half a day if you work less than half your normally scheduled hours. The minimum amount of time they can pay in a work day is two hours. You can see this in the Industrial Welfare Commission's Wage Order 5-2001. Scroll down to #5 "Reporting Time Pay"

https://www.dir.ca.gov/IWC/WageOrder5_010102.html

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 22 days ago

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer