Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Without a non solicitation or non compete what is a

Customer Question
Without a non solicitation...

Without a non solicitation or non compete what is a reasonable amount of time before contacting former customers in order to avoid action concerning interference in the state of va?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the non-compete agreement discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

There is none

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will. Salaried

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A competing business has been created.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/1/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Ok thanks. I understand.

Without a non compete or non solicitation agreement there is no legal prohibition to contacting former customers.

So long as the ex employee has left employment, they are free to contact the their old customers.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

No thanks. This is fine. I prefer typing

You may get an offer for a phone call at an extra charge. That offer is not being made by me (the site makes it automatically) and you are not required to accept it to proceed. I am happy to continue online with you.

I understand - but there has been a threat based on “interference” so we are curious if there would be a reasonable amount of time to wait which would look favorable to the ex employee who has started a competing business.

There is a cause of action called intentional interference with contract, but it requires "wrongful" or illegal conduct on your part.

If the contract is "at will" it is cancellable by the customer and the market controls.

So, I do not see that as a claim they could likely prevail with.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.