Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My mother has been working for a company for 25 years and…

Customer Question
My mother has been...

My mother has been working for a company for 25 years and they just forced her into retirement. She doesn't want to retire.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your mother discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

California is an at will state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has been working for the company for 25 years with no disciplinary actions as a receptionist. She is 71 and this is going to hurt her financially.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/1/2018
Employment Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 2 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

How many employers does the company have?

1500 approx
can you please text me i don’t want any more charges

Yes. I can do so.

A person cannot be forced to retire from a job when they reach a certain age if they are at least forty years old and work for either: a private employer with twenty or more employees, or the federal government or any local government. Since your Mother appears to meet these criteria, she would be protected by the Age Discrimination in Employment Act cannot be (ADEA) and cannot be forced to retire.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Hello again:

I hope I provided good service to you. If you need more, just let me know.