Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I live in Ohio, and am a respected employee in my field. I…

Hi, I live in Ohio...
Hi, I live in Ohio, and am a respected employee in my field. I recently received a compelling offer from a company where a good friend of mine works that made an offer that I couldn't beat. I worked for the current architecture firm for only the past 4 months, but had put in a large number of hours with them to maintain a client that they would have lost otherwise. I did think that it they might be the right path for me career-wise, but after that time period I realized that it wasn't and the friend's offer was the best choice for me personally. I had zero issues with my co-workers or my superiors. ..... Immediately following my resignation / 2-week notice, of which the entire firm recognizes that they need for me to download to them, the EVP of the department I worked in took it personally. She did a lot but here is a list of what I am asking regarding legal advice.... I gave 2 weeks notice on Tuesday, April 10th. After confronting her with why she was taking this personally to try and talk last Friday, which escalated into her shouting accusations that were 100% false, today I find myself with HR, and they've stated that today was my last day. They cut my pay to stop today, regardless of my notice, they ceased my benefits as of midnight tonight (I have a surgery next week that I already pre-certified and she knew I had pre-op for last week), and to make it worse, while classifying this as "best for the clients" to move forward... of which I have the entire VP line of c-suite offices in support of me, but not willing to speak up with this sensitivity; they are going backward into my corporate card, and finding things that I had approved, such as a business trip, and deducting all of those things from my next paycheck along with my sign-on bonus balance of which they want a check written to them for within 30 days. My boss (direct boss) doesn't agree with any of this, and apologized 100 times, everyone is recognizing this as a weird "Snap" of the EVP above him, but nobody is willing to say anything to get put on the list next. Do I have any rights? I had no exit interview. They took my phone from me, that they didn't own, I own it, and because I received company email, they scrubbed it, then handed it back to me. (all of it feels like they think I am going to a competitor, but I am not, and have repeatedly until I am blue told them that I am not) ... my boss is in such odds that he stated in the public announcement that they'd look forward to welcoming me back to the building and perhaps we'd all get to work together again, but his boss, the one that is causing all of this, told me that if I ever wanted to sell something into the firm, that it'd go through her and that I am not to ever contact anyone directly. I apologize for how this is all coming out in a chat as rambling, but I want you to have a degree of detail to give me some sort of advice. I really appreciate that you are able to do so. I am really lost on the right solution here, legally and do not want to send any e-mail to HR with any question of what happened today that doesn't have some expertise behind it beyond me just looking like I'm reacting. - Thank you again for your help on this. -Robert
4/30/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You are free to leave the position.
Company may not deduct from pay.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!If company persists, If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage. You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Great. Please click the 5 star (*****) rating - it’s the only way I receive credit by the site. Leaving a bonus after rating is always very much appreciated. if you dont see the rating button you can just type back “5 stars” Thank you!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Absolutely - how do I move forward with the advice
Following up
I replied above. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.
What can I do as my next steps?
I would engage HR on these issues and then escalate through legal counsel contacting HR and leveraging a potential claim in court and with the labor board
Should I be retaining counsel in person at a law firm ? HR has made it clear that they are going to continue to do things that are not in my favor. They took $1,800 of deductions back to themselves out of my last check.
martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
Ok thank you !
Very welcome.