Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Was released from job on april 19 anniversary date was the…

Was released from job...

Was released from job on april 19 anniversary date was the 23 they held my 2 weeks vacation pay can they do that. i was a line leader in factory there for 6 years said had complaints that i yelled to much . i was following my managers orders by yelling it was (lets keep moving we have to get out on time) or (stopping talking guys we have more items) never was it on a one to one person, My manager once came out and said lets stop yelling ad see how they are for a week. Well the following week she came out and said to me start yelling. just cannot understand how i can be let go of my position when i was falling my Managers ordrs

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

With owner and hr they are the one to let me go they said 2 choices 1 go to warehouse or resign warehouse would not b able to do lot of liftng and being 61 years old not able

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Started at 600 n released me at 8 that would of been my last day for the week. so even on the 21 i would have not been a work day weworked sunday to weden 10 or more hours . missed 2 days the whole time i was there first there last one to leave

4/30/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. As state laws vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

And to confirm, you were not part of a union and did not have an employment agreement?

ohio n no union
no rather text need no more expenses
do you know if they have the right or not

Thank you for your reply.

Under Ohio law, “vacation pay is not a gift or gratuity, but rather a deferred payment of an earned benefit and an employer can no more withhold the accrued vacation pay than, for example, it could hold the last paycheck the employee earned but not received.” See Condron v. The City of Willoughby Hills, 2007-Ohio-5208 at ¶ 40. Some employers offer generous vacation and sick time benefits as part of an employee’s benefits, pay, and as a method for attracting talented job applicants. Courts treat vacation time in the same light as hours worked by an employee – both are owed to the employee upon termination of employment.

However, Ohio case law carves out an exception to vacation pay upon termination of employment when an employer institutes a written policy limiting vacation pay. Employers may legally limit the benefits surrounding vacation time including instituting rules as to how vacation is accrued, requiring employees to work a certain amount of time before they are provided vacation time. Employers may also provide a forfeiture clause in the employment contract, stating that employees lose vacation pay at the end of employment if they are terminated for just cause or fail to provide sufficient notice upon termination. Employers may even state all vacation pay is forfeited once an employee ends employment for any reason. So, if you had a company handbook for example, that stated you must work X amount of days to get your vacation pay, or the employer had an established policy whereby terminated employees were ineligible to receive vacation pay, then they could deny you this benefit.

Give me a moment and I'll discuss their legal right to terminate you.

As far as termination itself, Ohio is an "at-will" employment state. In the absence of a collective bargaining agreement or employment contract -and most employees don't have either - an employer may terminate you at any time, for any reason, with or without cause. It doesn't matter that you were a great employee, or that you were doing what your manager said. They can still terminate you, with limited exceptions.

Even if you are an at-will employee, you still cannot be fired for reasons that are illegal under state and federal law. In these situations, the government has decided to make an exception to the general rule of at-will employment.

For example, if your employer is subject to federal and state laws prohibiting job discrimination (as all but the smallest employers are), you cannot be fired because of certain characteristics, such as your race, religion, or gender. Similarly, you cannot be fired because you have complained about illegal activity, about discrimination or harassment, or about health and safety violations in the workplace And you cannot be fired for exercising a variety of legal rights, including the right to take family and medical leave, to take leave to serve in the military, or to take time off work to vote or serve on a jury. From the facts you've provided, it doesn't sound like any of those exceptions applied, and thus, unfortunately, this termination though unfair, is legal.

Thank you

You're welcome. I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance. I'm sorry the news couldn't be better, but I owe you a duty to tell you what the law says and to tell you something that wasn't true certainly wouldn't be fair to you.

Please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer