Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a company that subcontracts for the air force at…

I work for a...

I work for a company that subcontracts for the air force at wright-patterson air base. i received a 1099misc and i receive no benefits except salary, so i am pretty sure the company considers me an independent contractor. My understanding is that an independent contract provides a service or product but it is up to the contractor to determine how or by what means. The company is telling me that i need to show up from 9 - 5 and do all work in an office. Can they specify this to me? or do i have the legal right to say that i will do my work wherever i am most able?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union. i don't know what an "at will" means

4/27/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

You can certainly tell them that you will do the work when you are most able. However, they are not required to continue employing you if you can't meet their needs. You are correct that having you work a set schedule is suggestive that you might not be properly classified as a contractor, but the analysis is more complex than that. Other things matter too, such as whether you are told how to do your job, whether you supply your own tools, whether you have other customers, and whether you are restricted from accepting other work.

If you believe you could be misclassified, your remedy is typically to file a form SS8 with the IRS and they will investigate. You cannot simply refuse your employer's instruction, though, and expect to be protected.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications, and the information provided is not legal advice.

Ok. what if I CAN meet their needs but they still want me to come in to the office?

Thank you.

Again, you don't acquire any special protection by doing what you propose, which means they would be free to terminate you if you don't follow their instructions. This is something you would need to negotiate with them, perhaps by raising the point that as a contractor you should have more freedom. I would not just do it unilaterally though as you would be risking the employment if you did that.

Patrick, Esq.
I think it's all resolved. Thanks for the help!