Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer sent out an email last week to all the part time…

My employer sent out...

My employer sent out an email last week to all the part time and weekend alternative staff that if the did not meet their hours with time worked or PTO's that their insurance benefits would be cancelled imediately

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No Our HR department is not "user friendly"

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I was curious if this was legal. My department was the only one that this applies to not other part time or weekend employee in other departments

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im a weekend alternative emplpyee which means I only work the 2 week end days but I'm still considered a full time employee due to the fact that I work every weekend

4/25/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

Unfortunately, this is not inherently illegal, no. Employers are only required to provide health insurance to employees who work on average 30 hours per week or more, and even then they can opt out and pay a tax penalty to the government instead. Aside from this obligation, health benefits are a fringe benefit that employers offer voluntarily, and as such they are free to revoke the benefit at any time. It is unfair that only certainly employees are targeted, but it is not illegal to be unfair or treat employees unequally provided the underlying reason for this treatment is not a legally protected trait such as race or religion.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Ok, Thanks

You are very welcome. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.