Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Can an full time employee off refuse part time work from the

Can an full time employee laid off refuse part time work from the same employer with out loss of Unemployment?
JA: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: manager
JA: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?
Customer: Union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Union contract provides for 40 weeks guaranteed at 40 hours.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No please review and do not hesitate to contact me if you need additional information.

The answer to your question is yes; you can refuse part-time work from the same company generally. Unemployment insurance requires that you do not refuse any suitable employment offers. There's no legal definition for "suitable," but this generally means something that is similar to what you were doing and making before. In your case, even if the pay is the same, part-time hours usually mean you'll make 40-50% less than you were previously, so if you deny the job, it is likely you can keep your unemployment benefits.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your answer.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!