Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My husband was terminated from his job after 23 years. We…

My husband was terminated...

My husband was terminated from his job after 23 years. We are going to have to cash out his pension so we don't lose our house. How will that affect our taxes?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your husband discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

He was on a last chance agreement through his union. This was his second offense. They told us there was nothing we could do

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Union and hourly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm just worried about losing most of this money to taxes.

4/22/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's job loss. When a person takes a lump sum distribution of their pension, the employer is required under federal law to withhold 20%. It is held by the federal government as a credit toward your tax liability for the year in which your payout was made. You can use that tax prepayment to reduce your tax liability when you file your tax return the following year. Or, if you overpaid your federal taxes you will be entitled to a refund of the excess taxes withheld.

Additionally, if your husband is under 59 1/2 years old, the federal government penalizes you another 10% when a lump sum distribution is made, so the withholding in that case would be 30%.

the 20 percent should cover the income tax when we file next year for this year? I thought we would have to pay additional monies then. And he is only 58 and cant find a job anywhere. We also lost our company funded health care and life insurance benefits. It is a very hard time for us
We cant afford another payment. I would love to talk to you, but 59$ is something I don't have.

You can ignore the phone call request, sorry. Those come automatically from the website, not me.

Because he's 58, he'll be taxed 30% (the additional 10% because he's under 59 1/2). Presumably, yes that should cover your taxes for next year.

Presumably, that should cover your taxes for the year (I don't know what your full financial situation is though, so I cannot say this for certain). But consider, for example that if you withdrew $100,000, 30% of that $30,000, well above what most people contribute in taxes based on income, meaning you should receive some of that money back in a refund.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer