Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

MY daughter has worked at the same job for 30 years. It was…

MY daughter has worked...

MY daughter has worked at the same job for 30 years. It was a sheltered workshop until last fall when Cuomo made mininum wage mandatory for all .Many of the slower clients lost their jobs at this site and the owners found it necessary to hire from the street. They now have to follow labor laws and she is allowed 20 hour s vacation only. She will loose her job because she is taking another 20 hours as we don't want to leave her behind when going to see her brother. Does workinf at the same site for 20 years and being very e

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes. We are told she will go to the unpaid workshop if she takes any more vacation days. She is one of the very best workers at her site as she is well behaved, doesn't converse much.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

It is an association for the handicapped workshop but because of mininum wage had to open to other workers to meet production quotas and afford to pay the higher salaries

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just if there are any laws regarding vacation time and years of employment?

4/23/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Regrettably no, there are no laws pertaining to years of employment and entitlement to vacation time. Vacation is not required by either state or federal law.

An employer can adjust their policies, provided the employee does not have a contract that expressly states that the terms of their employment cannot be altered. Otherwise, their employment terms are 'at will' and can be altered at any time.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

5

Thank you. Take care.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer