Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer owes 3 of us for overtime that we worked during…

My employer owes 3...

My employer owes 3 of us for overtime that we worked during hurricane Harvey, I am property manager of a 264 unit property. I have never had a write up, pip, record of conversation. I have an evaluation 6 weeks ago and received a raise due to my performance. I brought the money owed several times to their attention. Then I took a two week approved vacation while my daughter was giving birth to our first grandchild. The morning of my return I received a phone call from my Supervisor stating she wanted to let me know of some changes that were made in my absence. I am 45 years old and I was told that "Monica" has been with us a very long time and has a lot of expierence soshe will be acting manager of said property. I was told to assume the leasing position and to remove myself to the leasing desk in the club room. I have since learned that Monica is 33 and has only been with my company less than 1 year, I have a collective of 4+ years with this company. I have been relieved of manager duties and was to to get my new assignments from carting manager and if I didn't agree with this that I could go work at another property that currently does not have a manager, this property is 45 miles from my home. Monica is hiring new employees for my property and prior to my return my staff were told to not take orders from me. I attempted to resolve this with my direct supervisor, everytime I do, she threatens to move me to the property 45 miles from my home. I contacted HR and feel as they are not taking me seriously. I feel that the have essentially demoted me, removed my authority from my employees. Please advise?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes, I met with a labor and wage consultant on Friday, this meeting was set up with my HR department. He stated that in his opinion, they owe it and need to pay us. I feel that I am being harassed, bullied and retaliated because I won't drop the request to receive payment

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Texas is an at will state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I feel that I am being pushed out of my position, I feel due to this treatment my continued employment will be counter productive, as I will never feel comfortable taking a vacation again for fear of being replaced and I feel that any decision I make moving forward will be scrutinized by this supervisor. The HR I have contacted just (last week) replaced our HR that was there for several years. Please advise?

4/22/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that Attorneys on the site do not offer legal advice. We only provide general legal information based on questions asked.

What are your specific questions so that I can try to answer them for you?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Is it lawful what they are doing to me

I do not participate in the phone call program. Hence, the rejection of your offer. However, any interested Attorney can still accept the offer and call you back.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
No call necessary
Is it lawful what they are doing?
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

Your Question:

Is it lawful what they are doing to me

Response: No, it is not. This would be considered age discrimination. You can file age discrimination complaint with U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Also, it would be considered retaliation if you had filed wage claim with Texas Workforce Commission.

Best wishes,

Thank you