Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

What is the cost of this service? My husband accrued PTO and…

What is the cost...

What is the cost of this service?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Thank you. My husband accrued PTO and hit the ceiling with the amount he could accrue. He found out yesterday that he was demoted, but has not signed the paperwork accepting it yet. He put in for the PTO prior to signing the new contact. My question: Will he receive his PTO at the rate in which he accrued it or will it be at the demotion rate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your husband discussed the demotion with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No, he has to meet on Monday morning to do so. It is $2.23 lower per hour than he received before (he does know this). They told him at the end of shift yesterday (Friday) so no time for a lawyer consult.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

It was a salaried job based on 19.23 per hour (40 hours a week). And at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He applied for his PTO prior to signing the new contract, and it was accepted.

4/21/2018
Eric. Y., Esq.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an Attorney. I am here to assist you. What state do you reside in?

Washington State

Thank you. Please give me a moment to review your facts and respond.

Nice to meet you Eric
Thank you.

Pursuant to Washington State Wage & Hour law, employers must provide employees using paid sick leave/pto with their “normal hourly compensation”. So the question becomes, what is the "normal hourly rate" for an employee whose pay has been reduced. While the employee has accrued pto during his prior rate of pay, the State of Washington merely requires that the employer pay the employee at the rate of pay that the employee would have received had he worked instead of using the pto. WAC 296-128-600 (10). Thus, he will get paid at the current hourly rate, not the rate at the time at which the pto was accrued. This could be overriden by an Employee Handbook, which may sometimes be construed as a contract in some instances. Therefore, I would review that document to see if the employees have been promised more pay than the current state law.

I hope this answered your question. If so, I ask that you please kindly rate my response from 3-5 stars. Thank you.

Eric. Y., Esq.
Thank you. This is very helpful.
Is this true even if he has not signed the contract yet for the new position?

That poses a twist. Please read the contract closely. Make sure there are no clauses that say that the demotion was effective upon receipt of notice of the position. If the new rate is not effective until he agrees with the demotion, then he is currently still under the old rate, meaning on Monday he will be at work at the prior rate of pay. What are the consequences of not signing. That should be in the contract as well or at least communicated to the employee.