Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated for performance in sales with a “2 week…

Customer Question
I was terminated for...

I was terminated for performance in sales with a “2 week grace period”. So they offered me a small severance, cut access to the network, and sent out emails to my clients that I was no longer with the company in the same day they told me. My question is: were they in their rights to keep me on scheduled payroll for the next 2 weeks? Or were they to pay me when they sent out the email? My official last day is Monday, 4/23.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes. With HR. That’s how I heard the term “2 week grace period”. I found out by an accidental email meant for the Sr. VP sent to me by the VP.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I believe I am at will because we are in CA. I am not in a union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Thank you. Good morning.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
4/21/2018
Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

NOTICE: If you are presented with an offer for a phone consultation, which may appear to have been sent by me, please know that this is an automated website offer, and that I do not participate in this Justanswer program. If you would like to correspond with me directly, whether by phone, email or otherwise, then do not accept the phone call offer, because your request will be accepted by a random contributor, who may or may not be licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction – and, I will be unable to provide further assistance. Instead, simply type to me that you would like my direct contact info, and I will send you a specific offer for that purpose.

I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), the Bar of the U.S. Tax Court, I am a California licensed real estate broker, and I have comprehensive information about all areas of California and federal law.

Cal. Labor Code Section 201(a) requires: "If an employer discharges an employee, the wages earned and unpaid at the time of discharge are due and payable immediately." If you are being paid for the additional two weeks of employment, then your earned and unpaid wages are due at the end of the two week "grace" period. If you are not being paid for the two week "grace" period, then the employer is in violation of the law and you are entitled to a waiting time penalty for the value of one day's work for each day until your final wages are paid. (Labor Code § 203(a))

Commission sales may not be entirely determined at the time of discharge. To the extent that commissions are earned and unpaid, they are due immediately. Otherwise, the commissions are due immediately when determined under the commission agreement with the employee. A written commission agreement is a requirement of California law. Labor Code § 2751.

f you need more personal attention than can be provided in this public forum, I can arrange to send you an offer of direct correspondence, and we can take the discussion offline into a confidential setting. Please let me know if you're interested.

If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!