Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I believe I may have a case for wrongful termination.

I believe I may...

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Discussed with HR only.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will and salaried

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe I was fired for a a violation of a policy which does not exist.

4/21/2018
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

In order to assist you I will need to know what State you work in and what you think the true motivation was for your termination. I will be away from my computer for much of the day, but will respond as soon as I become available.

Thanks Marsha. I work in the state of Washington. I was terminated for possession of a firearm in my vehicle in the parking lot of my workplace as well as possession of a camping knife (for cutting fruit) in my work place, kept in my backpack. The gun was purchased for home defense and picked up during my lunch break, as the shop I ordered from was close by my workplace. I left it underneath my driver’s side seat in it’s box while I was finishing my shift. I mentioned this to a coworker, who I believed to be a friend, that I had thought about getting a gun for home defense and was going to pick it up on my lunch break. Two months later, I was fired for this and the knife possession. The real reason I believe I was fired was because I was performing very well at work and I believe my team lead had a personal vendetta against me, and used my coworker’s info about the gun against me. The knife is absurd- I think they threw that in because they were grasping for straws. The coworker that I had told about the gun is very superstitious. I thought we had been friends, but he stopped talking to me for a period of about two weeks. I was confused and hurt and sent a few texts asking him if anything was wrong followed by letting him know I felt betrayed. I believe his over-active mind led him to believe that I could be a security threat and he showed my texts to my team lead, who showed them to HR. Personal texts between me and my colleague outside of work hours and texts that in no way indicated that I was out to get my colleague. I am a harmless individual. Ask all of my family and friends. I feel defamed and wrongfully terminated. I have scoured the documentation from my company for information prohibiting guns in the parking lot as well as the carrying of a knife for culinary purposes and have come up dry. Any help or advice is appreciated. I’m still in shock I was fired over this!
Additionally, this gun was picked up on in mid-December and not brought up against me until now- 4 months later.
picked up in December

Hello again and thank you for your reply. I am working on my reply and will respond in a few minutes. Please refrain from posting on the question until you get my reply, as it slows down my ability to do so. Thanks

Washington State, like most, is an employment "at will" state. I believe you indicated that you are not in a union and therefore, are an employee "at will." That means that an employer may discipline, including terminate, an employee for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning, unless doing so would violate a contract or is motivated by discriminatory intent or bias because the employee is a member of a protected class under employment discrimination laws. Also, an exception is if the termination is retaliation for the employee filing a complaint with a government agency related to their employment.

If the exceptions that I mentioned don't apply, then the employer can be as arbitrary and unfair in their decision to terminate as they choose. That doesn't make the decision a good management decision or morally right, but it also doesn't make it unlawful.

Employers do have a duty to keep their workers safe and, right or wrong, they could let someone go if they believe that there is an issue of workplace safety. Again though, they don't need a reason. Just anticipating what they may have been thinking. I can't really guess since I don't know the people or decisionmaking process at play, but that could be something they would assert.

All that said, you certainly have the right to communicate your position to the Senior Management or HR of your Company and tell your side of the story to see if they will change their minds. If they don't, and you need to file for unemployment benefits, then you should file and if you are denied because the employer asserts that you were terminated for "cause," you should consider appealing. Upon appeal it will be the employer who has to prove that what they terminated you for was a violation of law or policy. If they cannot, then you will be awarded UI benefits.

That result though does not mean the termination was unlawful as the laws are different that apply to each issue.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Thank you very much for the thorough and thoughtful response. It sounds like an unfortunate case of “life is not fair” for me and lessons learned. Thank you for your time.

You're very welcome and I am sorry that the news was not better for you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer