Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a manager. I had a confrontation with another store…

I am a manager...

I am a manager. I had a confrontation with another store manager that I was put to comanage and then take over when she went on maternity leave I was sent home after the confrontation because she would not calm down I was called early this morning by my district manager and told not to report to work and that they would contact me later this evening the CEO contacted me and proceeded to tell me that I had but been put on suspension with pay pending allegations on an anonymous hotline of improper conduct. He then proceeded to tell me I was not allowed to have any contact with any of the staff the store members and I was not allowed to go anywhere near the store in general and that HR would be contacting me mid next week what are my rights I didn’t even know about any allegations this came out of nowhere and I’ve never been approached by my HR about anonymous tips on an anonymous hotline

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the suspension with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

No HR didn’t contact me at all it was the CEO of the company that contacted me to inform you I was on suspension with pay pending an investigation and that I would be contacted sometime mid next week.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not belong to a union so at will employee.

4/21/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee this would not be a situation in which you have much in the way of rights. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true. Thus, it wouldn't matter if you can show that you did not instigate this confrontation or do anything unprofessional. From a purely legal standpoint, you could still be let go.

Your only real power here is the power of persuasion. This means putting together a written statement explaining your side of what happened and cooperating with your employer's investigation as best you can. The good news is that your suspension is paid, which suggests that your employer is going to be expedient in their investigation, and also hopefully fair. I know it's tough to hear, but you just need to hang in there.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications, and the information provided is not legal advice.

Thank you for the response. One more question. If this results in my termination with the company I am able to collect unemployment?
Am I able to apply for unemployment...

Thank you for your reply and no problem. Yes, I would think the chances would be very good that you will be approved for unemployment in the event you are let go under these circumstances.

I hope this helps. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your questions, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.