Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I recently got a simple assault pending charge. Do I need to…

Customer Question
I recently got a...

I recently got a simple assault pending charge. Do I need to tell my employer, if so, will I get fired? What is the ny law on this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No union

Submitted: 14 days ago.Category: Employment Law
4/12/2018
Employment Lawyer: Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law replied 14 days ago
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your job position?

Does your employer have a written policy in place that would require all employees to report any arrests?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
My position is analyst in an ny insurance company
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I do not think thwre

Thank you for your follow up.

Unless the employer has a written policy that requires employees to report any arrests and/or criminal conviction to the employer, then the employee would not be obligated to report such arrest / conviction to the employer.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
The issue is I am applying green card and need to disclose this to immigration attorney who works for my company. If I have to disclose, will that lead to firing me? Under NY employment law, what the regulation is?

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot comment on your specific situation, but it would be a good idea to hire your own immigration attorney who can keep things confidential, since a private employer can fire an employee even if the employee only had been arrested for a minor crime and was not even convicted of the crime.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
What are my rights during this if company decides not to continue the employment?

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot comment on your specific situation, but generally a private employer can terminate an at will employee for any reason, other than illegal discrimination.

I wish you the best of luck!

Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law