Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

As a teacher hired in a Tx public school district can I be…

Customer Question
As a teacher hired...

As a teacher hired in a Tx public school district can I be released during my probationary period for having a seizure in front of my boss. She knew of my difficulty but used excuses such as my not having a (white ) co-worker like how I “looked at her / my body language as I listed to her accuse me of ignoring her as I went home sick. This is just the tip of the iceberg pertaining to what’s going on in a District/county known for its discrimination.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the accusation with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Hr and she let me know today they plan on not continuing my contract. If I want to protest this I will have to address the issues by April 20th with HR inorder Not have it approved by the school board in a meeting

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

NEA / TSTA member

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s the general information

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
4/11/2018
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 3 months ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

I would say no they cannot.I would file an EEOC complaint claiming discrimination and consider an employment lawyer to sue for wrongful termination

EEOC

https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

Disability discrimination occurs when an employer or other entity covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, or the Rehabilitation Act, as amended, treats a qualified individual with a disability who is an employee or applicantunfavorably because she has a disability. Learn more about the Act at ADA at 25.

Disability discrimination also occurs when a covered employer or other entity treats an applicant or employee lessfavorably because she has a history of a disability (such as cancer that is controlled or in remission) or because she is believed to have a physical or mental impairment that is not transitory (lasting or expected to last six months or less) andminor (even if she does not have such an impairment).

The law requires an employer to provide reasonable accommodation to an employee or job applicant with a disability, unless doing so would cause significant difficulty or expense for the employer ("undue hardship").

The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

Contact us by phone:(###) ###-####(Toll Free), Monday - Friday, CST, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The call-in service is closed on legal holidays.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Prayers to you with all of this, so sorry it happened to you, I hope you will pursue this.