Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

Is there a law against having 14 hours shifts in North

Customer Question

Is there a law against having 14 hours shifts in North Dakota. Occasionally we combine the 1st and 2nd shift into one shift when needed.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: This is HR
JA: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?
Customer: At will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: and it is hourly
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Generally, there are no state or federal laws that dictate required shift length for adults. There are two caveats: first, the employee needs to be paid for all hours worked. If 14 hour shifts put them over 40 hours/week, they're entitled to overtime. Second, North Dakota requires giving employees at least one day off in a seven day period. But there isn't any limit on shift length outside of those two things.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?