Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a member of management be forced to get a CDL? The job…

Customer Question
Can a member of...

Can a member of management be forced to get a CDL?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

The job is salaried and oversees a bargaining unit who is responsible for driving

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
4/4/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

(The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you which is NOT from me. I will not accept a phone call request and will work through the chat system.)

The employer can set possession of a CDL as a condition of employment, yes. There is no law against that, even for management. If that is what the employer wants as a qualification of that job, the employee has the option to either obtain the CDL or allow themselves to become disqualified for their job, at which point the employer can legally terminate them.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.