Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a major aerospace company in Milledgeville,

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a major aerospace company in Milledgeville, Georgia and they have changed their benefits policy recently. We use to get 40 hours sick leave and vacation days accrued. They decided to change to Paid time off days depending on your years of service. They even put out a memo encouraging employees to take their PTO days off so they won't get stressed out. They also did not communicate and guidelines for the new program as far as disciplinary procedures. I have been being harassed by my supervisor because I was sick and couple days and he wants to write me up and threatened to fire me even though I have plenty of PTO days. It's a double standard, they encourage you to use your PTO days but try to discipline you for using your PTO days.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes with my supervisor and he just threw his hands in the air and said " I don't know what the policy is but I know what mine is." Many othere employees are getting the same treatment. When I asked my supervisor what Human Resources policy on this was he said their answer was it was up to the supervisor. What it is they are made because corporate gave us PTO days to use anyway you want and they can't be under control anymore even though they still issue discipline by the old procedures. How can you discipline someone that was sick when they have PTO days. So your gonna write me up but pay me also? DOUBLE STANDARD!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The only communication we were given by our Site president was encouraging us to use our PTO time anyway wI think no disciplinary guidelines. HUMAN RESOURCES DOESN'T WANT TO GET BIT SO THEY IF A LAWSUIT WAS PRESENTED THEY WOULD USE THE SUPERVISOR AS.THE SCAPEGOAT

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
4/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

I agree that this seems completely unfair and seems like horrible management. Are you asking if this is illegal? I very much look forward to assisting you on this matter.

how can we be disciplined for using PTO days. By the way this new PTO program blows our current employer handbook away as far as how we use our benefited time. I have over 2 weeks PTO days and they want to write me up
I called in.my illness and told them I would not be coming in, charge it to.my PTO time. And what is even more discussing is that my supervisor was out also and his boss approved my time to get paid. So I,ll go in tomorrow and my supervisor wants to write me up even though in his absence his boss approved my time. I'm not going to sign the write up this is wrong. I don't care this a right to work state, this is unfair practices and also I may add that their is a lot of favoritism goings-on.

Thank you.

I completely understand your frustration. To be honest it sounds like what your employer is doing is completely ridiculous. That said, you are here for honest information, and not to be patronized with false information for the sake of a more pleasing answer. I must tell you that employers generally have no obligation to be fair or consistent. PTO is a completely optional fringe benefit, which employers have no legal obligation to provide. Because of that, the law takes a hands off approach with respect to how employers administer such time, when it can be taken, etc. Regrettably, this means you can generally be disciplined for taking PTO even if you were encouraged to take PTO. It's completely ridiculous and horrible management, but there is no law against such things. Obviously, an employer who runs their business like this will experience massive turnover and low employee morale. This will hurt their own business. But there is no law that prevents an employer from running their business into the ground.

When it comes to write-ups, signing a writeup generally just serves to acknowledge that you received it, not that you agree with it. It is unwise to refuse to sign a writeup because this could be construed as insubordination. It is much better to sign and print the words "signed only to acknowledge receipt" below your signature, to make it even more clear you are not agreeing with the contents.