Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I’m salary however my employer said they would pay me 75 per…

Customer Question
I’m salary however my...

I’m salary however my employer said they would pay me 75 per hour to go consult at another organization they are thinking about merging with, now they say they were not serious about paying me.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I have an email from our CEO to our hr and cfo “my boss” with an attached agreement discussing the rate

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I cannot go to HR as this is a hostile work environment, last year she screamed at me .....

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No I don’t belong to a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m in a huge state of depression as I am unable to engage in my work without getting migrain headaches

Submitted: 16 days ago.Category: Employment Law
4/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 16 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Ok

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. It seems like you may have some cause of action against your employer to encourage them to pay you the $75/hour as they had promised and I'll explain why.

Although there may not have been a binding agreement, you may have some recourse under the legal theory of promissory estoppel. What this means is that if someone made a promise upon which another person detrimentally relied, then the aggrieved party may be entitled to damages. Promissory estoppel usually requires five (5) things:

1. The defendant made a promise that was clear and unambiguous in its terms

2. The promisee relied on the promise.

3. The reliance on the new promise was reasonable and foreseeable.

4. You were injured by the reliance.

5. Injustice can be avoided only by enforcement of the promise.

Accordingly, you may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter that they either honor their promise or they pay you the reasonable damages that you incurred as a result. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to go to court to have a judge enforce the law. How else can I help today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer