Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We are a lumber company operating in the state of Georgia,

Customer Question
We are a lumber...

We are a lumber company operating in the state of Georgia, We plan to offer employees to have either direct deposit or pay card. Will this comply with Georgia law.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

We do not have a hr dept. we have not discuss it with a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does the employee belong to a union?

At will

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. In Georgia, wage payment must be by one of the following methods:

cash

check, or

direct deposit with the express permission of the employee.

This is a link to the statute: https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-34/chapter-7/article-1/34-7-2/

Therefore, a "pay card" is not allowed.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 3rd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.