Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My husband is on term disability from his job. He will not…

Customer Question
My husband is on...

My husband is on long term disability from his job. He will not be able to return to work due to terminal cancer. His company is asking him to resign. Should he resign and if he does what happens to his benefits?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your husband discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes with HR but, not with an attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

No union, and the job is hourly. He works for Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What if he does not give resignation can they terminate on Long Term Disability. We have no problem with paying policies or premiums out of pocket. We already have second coverage in place. We are veterans.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 19 days ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Has any severance package been offered in return for the resignation?
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
No
Then your first step is to see what they are willing to give in the way of severance if he resigns. They should pick up COBRA payments for a period, pay salary, and other benefits. If they refuse, I would not resign.
Are you still online with me?
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Can they terminate him. Although, doctors are not God but from a medical perspective they have given him less than a year
If his employemnt is at-will, and he can no longer do the basic functions of his job, yes, they could legslly terminate him.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Should we resign or let them terminate and will he still be entitled to long term disability. What are the odds of a at will state an employee working & getting treatments from the same place he has worked for over 8 years.
There is no reason to resign while on disability unless he gets something in return.
Loren, Lawyer