Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am being reprimanded for talking to an Illegal immigrant…

Customer Question
I am being reprimanded...

I am being reprimanded for talking to an Illegal immigrant employee at my job, that said "I hurt her feelings". She asked me, first due to my last name been hispanic, how did my husband got to stay in the USA, I told her, "my husband is Puerto Rican, which is an American citizen, so he is not illegal. So he didn't had to do anything to be here in the USA." Then I asked her if she was going to do her paperwork to become a legal resident and she said, yes and a lot of stuff, that I have to do, and go back to Mexico, to get it all done. And I complimented her on doing the right thing, because it will help her here in the USA to be a legal citizen.
And she contacted HR and filed a legal complaint against me, for hurting her feelings.
I have NEVER, in my 35 years of working as an employee and as a Professional Engineer now, had a complaint filed against me, ever. This is going in my permanent record, according to HR.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Have not talked to hr yet suppose to talk to me tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing yet just my boss and her boss asked me what happened and and i told them what was said in the bathroom friday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just we were 2 adults in restroom and i had asked her did she get her passport because a week before that she had told me she was goinh going to get her passport and thats how our conversation started

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
can you call me at my home number(###) ###-####waiting on new replacement cause my cell is broken
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
do you know what time i might get a call
4/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law replied 3 months ago
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question that I can answer for you about the situation you have described in your post?

This isn't for educational purposes this is happening to me for real and needed advice
Are you a lawyer can you help
I will pay a retainer for a lawyer to talk on phone
Wanted to know what to do about hr mtg tomorrow