Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was fired for failing a drug test (marijuana) 2 weeks

Customer Question
I was fired for...

I was fired for failing a drug test (marijuana) 2 weeks after I hurt my finger at work they did not to let me retest is that legal in Illinios

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the drug test with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Manager yes he is fine with me continuing my employment the hr rep I talked said he went all the way to legal and his bos they said violation of company policy I have not spoken to a lawyer yet just found out today I can't keep my job

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Cant think of anything

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Employment Law
4/2/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 20 days ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

Unfortunately, there is no requirement that an employer allow an employee to retest, so based on what you have described the termination would typically be lawful, as termination for a positive drug test is virtually always going to be valid grounds for termination.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer