Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My father worked for J C Penney and when he retired from…

Customer Question
My father worked for...

My father worked for J C Penney and when he retired from them he set up his pension so that my mother would get half upon his death. She died first and he died on Feb 6, 2018. Before he died he signed a form stating me as beneficiary. Penney's sold their pension to Prudential Insurance Co. Now they are saying that the new form that he signed does not hold any water. They are going by the original paperwork. Do I have any recourse

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the form copy but it does not have his signature on it but they admit that they received it but are saying that it was set up in 1985 that my mother was to get half.per month till her death Also have the paperwork stating that Penney's sold the pension plan

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
4/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Ok

Your Question:

Response: Yes, you do. They cannot go by the original paperwork since your father successfully submitted a new beneficiary designation form after your mother's death. They CANNOT obviously go by the original form since your mother, the designated beneficiary pre-deceased your father. The pension plan is not making any sense here.

You need to file complaint against the pension plan with U.S. Department of Labor, Employees Benefits Security Administration for assistance in getting what is rightfully yours.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I have sent them a message and hope that they will help me

Thank you for the update. I hope so too.

Thank you for your cooperation.