Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a federal agency. The local Union president sent…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a federal agency. The local Union president sent an e-mail to National officers and employees accusing me of being vindictive. How would you handle this matter? Her accusations are destroying any chance I may have to become a Union officer in the future, as well as damaging my reputation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the accusation with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No. The Union is a separate entitity, the agency has nothing to do with it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes. And yes, I belong to a Union.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
4/2/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Well, for starters you would need to address the allegations to the same people in a letter. You need to write a letter explaining why the claims about you were unfair and you need to use ONLY FACTS you can prove, not opinions.

The reason you need to send a letter is because legally if the president made these claims about you based on his opinion of you, legally you cannot sue him for libel/slander. In order to sue for libel/slander, you need to prove the statements he made he knew were false at the time he made them, not that they were just his opinion.

Once you write the letter refuting the allegations with facts, if the president continues to harass you and not provide you the same representation as other union members, then you can file a claim to the National Labor Relations Board against the union for retaliation and unfair labor practice for not treating you the same under the contract.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.