Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

After 13 years of working in my current position, my new VP

Customer Question

After 13 years of working in my current position, my new VP (she has only been in her current positon from May 2017 to present) has created a hostile work environment and has been verbally abuse to me. This past Feb. she completed my performance eval where she gave me mostly all unsatisfactory ratings and stated that I am not fit for any other Executive Assistant positions within my company (I have been with my current employer for 17 years). She mentioned that I am not "approachable" despite her stating in a department staff meeting (28 + employees) that she wanted to punch my 2nd Executive in command in his face and that he was old and just needed to retire. Last Fri. I met with my VP and an HR person to discuss my response to my unsatisfactory ratings and during that meeting she yelled at me that I was a "liar" twice and put her back-hand up to me. I feel very uncomfortable around her and am very worried about my safety and future. If she could blatenly state that she wanted to punch the Executive in his face..what would she do to me?
JA: Was this workplace safety issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Yes. After the meeting another collegue and I contacted Compliance about it. I know that she met with HR and her direct manager, but I am not sure of the outcome. Last Friday, when I mentioned about it to her and the HR person that is when she called me a "Liar". She looked over at the HR person and semi laughed and said "all I said was everyone at Inova always says Richard (the Exec) is old and just needs to retire...that's all. However she herself that he's old and just needs to retire and she wanted to punch him in his face. I even said to her in the meeting..."Did you not see me look over at you when you said that with a shocked look on my face"?? She did not respond to my question.
JA: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?
Customer: I work for a Health Care System in No. VA with over 6 hospitals, nursing homes, etc..etc. My office is located at one of the Hospitals.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. There is nothing else. Can you tell me the process of how this works, once I am connected to a lawyer?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the information. Can you please tell me what your legal question is? Also, are you saying that you are being targeted for the lower performance evaluations and yelling because of your age too? If not, why do you think you, versus someone else, are being targeted?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My legal question is...as an employee what are my rights to disputing an unfavorable evaluation and Yes.. I am being targeted for the lower performance evaluation because of my race (Black) and age (56). Also, I believe that the VP is/has done something that she should not have concerning her work. My employer is currently in the process of switching to a new Group Purchasing Organization (GPO) and during a staff meeting the VP mentioned that a discuss would be made in a couple of weeks regarding the status of our GPO or if we will switch to a new company. During the next monthly staff meeting the VP did not provide an update on the status of the GPO. Sometime, after then, I asked her if a decision had been made concerning our GPO and she said "no". At the end of Feb. I received my employee eval in which she had an HR person present and before we even had a chance to discuss each standard (about 20 +) and rating, she yelled " WHY DO YOU KEEP ASKING ME ABOUT Premier (GPO) and she had a glazed look on her face.\. I replied that the reason I asked about Premier (no more than 2 times) was because I am an engaged EA/employee and I always ask about the status of anything concerning our department. Also, when ever there is a change in GPO's or vendors (we currently have about 300+) there are major changes that need to be done to facilitate the switch. I was only trying to be proactive in preparing for what may be a major change from the current GPO to a new GPO. The initial eval was done around Feb. 28 and I have been very uncomfortable with scheduling a meeting with her to discuss my response. However, I did put a meeting on her calendar for us to talk about my eval only to realize that she took the meeting off her calendar and said that she would only meet with me if an HR person was present. I would like to add that I have been communication with my employeer's System Office Head of HR. He has been coaching me on how to respond to this situation.

Thank you for your reply, however, I am no longer available today to take your question so I will opt out and allow another Expert who is available to assist you. They will let you know when they have an answer for you.