Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am concerned about retaliation with regard to an event…

Customer Question
I am concerned about...

I am concerned about retaliation with regard to an event that took place at work. If I am terminated stemming from that am I able to seek compensation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this retaliation issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I have discussed it several times with my manager

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I am an at will - Midlevel Manager

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

After the event, I have been given, in my opinion, in appropriate direction on what I can and cannot do - painting in a box so to speak. I do have specifics if necessary.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
4/1/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Retaliation from what? Retaliation from reporting age/race/sex/disability/national origin discrimination? Retaliation form reporting a violation of a state or federal statute?

Please tell us what is going on.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

A first line Supervisor became hostile with me and I documented and reported it. He is on friendly terms w/upper level management. I was informed by Senior Manager (friendly w/Supervisor) that the employee should be excused for his behavior because of his personal issues even though he became verbally abusive. Other employees also have direct pipeline into upper level mgr. I became somewhat withdrawn and did not feel comfortable addressing this employee (and some others further). After incident and my reporting of it, I did not experience the same rapport w/Senior manager as in past. Also, every incident thereafter - such as with other employees negative behavior, I was placed in an unfavorable light - though out of my control personally (opinion). Also, unfavorable restrictions placed on me (opinion). I have examples of these also if needed. There were several other issues occurring that put me in a position of having, as one of my fellow coworkers stated, "Post Traumatic Syndrome" (PTS) given how I seemed to be withdrawn in addressing certain issues due to what happened before.

Thank you or your reply.

I understand you are using the term "hostile" and many employees use that term along with "discrimination" and they do not know what that term really means under the laws.

So this is why I asked you, is the retaliation or conduct toward you based ONLY on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin? That is an important question, because the law is quite specific.