Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My previous boss did not pay me for over 3 weeks of tips and…

Customer Question
My previous boss did...

My previous boss did not pay me for over 3 weeks of tips and a paycheck and I don’t know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this wage-and-hour issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

It was a small business, there wasn’t no HR and my checks were suppose to be sent to me as it was after I had stopped working there

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I don’t belong to a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My previous employer claims it’s because I didn’t return my one uniform shirt on time, so he doesn’t have to give me my checks, can he do that?

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Employment Law
3/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 23 days ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

what state is this in?
Also was the employment relationship terminated by the employee or employer?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
San Antonio Texas, it was terminated by the employee. I fulfilled my full 2 weeks after my notice as well

Thanks; a few minutes please.

Texas law prohibits unauthorized deductions from wages; please see:

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/deduction_problems_under_tpl.html

As for failing to pay the last paycheck, if the employee quits, retires, resigns, or otherwise leaves employment voluntarily, the final pay is due on the next regularly-scheduled payday following the effective date of resignation.

A wage complaint may be filed here:

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/jobseekers/how-submit-wage-claim-under-texas-payday-law#howToSubmitAClaim

Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 21 days ago

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer