Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have signed a non compete agreement with my employer which…

Customer Question
I have signed a non...
I have signed a non compete agreement with my employer which says I cannot work with my client till 2 years after current employment termination .document had signature on the right hand side of the page , where I signed it.But it also has had date a column where I did not enter any date , I send the document in the email .My question is , Is such contracts valid without the effective date mentioned in it
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Employment Law
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have signed ,with name address and ssn. But have not put the date. pls see attachment
3/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 26 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, YES, even though you did not put the date on the document when you signed it, the fact you signed the agreement makes it valid I am sorry to say. The court will not void this agreement for the minor omission of the date when all that is required to make this valid is your signature.

NJ law says these agreements are binding and enforceable when signed as long as they are reasonable in the scope of the protection sought by the employer and reasonable in length of time and geographic scope. So, I am sorry to say just because you did not put the date on it, the fact it was signed with your SSN and address is sufficient to make it valid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
has per terms and condition it says you have to pay 25000 $, will the court go with it.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
One more question is can i continue working with the client during the time when case is in court

Thank you for your reply.

Legally, the court has no choice but to enforce these agreements as written which is why we tell people many times a day, "if you do not agree with a document do not sign it" because the whole purpose of written agreements is to bind people to the terms. If that were not the case, using written agreements would be meaningless.

They can actually get an injunction against you to prevent you from working for the client AND could sue the client as well for tortious interference with the contract between you and the previous company.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
seeing at the attachment i have sent , is it the that final amount of 25 k dollars or more has to be paid ? If the 25 k is imposed will it be in installments or one go ??/

Thank you for your reply.

It is all one lump sum payment not a payment plan. If they find you in violation, then they can demand lump sum payment for breach of contract.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney