Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We have a small company. When we have had a good week, we…

Customer Question
We have a small...

We have a small company. When we have had a good week , we sometimes let the employees leave an hour or so early on Friday. Or sometimes before a holiday, we close early. We have always paid everyone as if they worked the entire day. I am noticing that employees are scheduling time off on a Friday or before a holiday and I would not "dock" pay or use PTO time if we closed early but paid them. I now am saying if you opted to take PTO time on a day we closed early, you will be using your PTO time. So essentially, you have to be here to take advantage of being paid for early closing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this scheduling issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes we are at will and no we do not have a union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Employment Law
3/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 25 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Use of PTO is solely at discretion of the employer. For hourly employees, the employer only needs to pay them for time they actually work. For salary employees, if they come to work and you close early you must pay them without docking pay, but not if they do not come in at all and you are open, you can charge their PTO for a day absent for personal reasons.

It is purely up to you as an employer to decide to pay the employees or take their PTO time to pay them or to make them remain at work. IT is not not up to the employee and it is not governed by the law either.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
But my question is really if we close early, I pay the non exempt as if they worked the full day. What I want to do is if the non exempt employee opted to be out on a day when we closed early and I paid workers for the full day, I don't want to pay those who were not a work that day .
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
31 March 2018 10:46But my question is really if we close early, I pay the non exempt as if they worked the full day. What I want to do is if the non exempt employee opted to be out on a day when we closed early and I paid workers for the full day, I don't want to pay those who were not a work that day .

Thank you for your reply.

You do not have to pay them or can make them use their PTO. That is up to you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney