Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Traveling employees, I have an employee flying to Florida.

Customer Question
We don’t know how much...
Traveling employees, I have an employee flying to Florida. We don’t know how much the minimum pre diem is. His housing is already taken care of. The issue is food and misc.?
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Employment Law
3/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 20 days ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

As a preliminary matter, per diem pay is not required of most private employers as long as the employees are being paid minimum wage. That said it is common to offer per diem whenever travel is required. Where housing/accommodations are provided, the per diem - as you note - would be for food and any other incidental expenses related to the location where the work is being performed. Though per diem pay is not always required, the federal government - through the GSA - sets standard rates by location.

For just meals and incidentals the rate paid to government employees, which is often used as a guide for private employers can be found here: https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book/per-diem-rates/meals-and-incidental-expenses-mie-breakdown

The total per diem for various areas in Florida, can be reviewed here: https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book/per-diem-rates/per-diem-rates-lookup/?action=perdiems_report&state=FL&fiscal_year=2018&zip=&city=

I hope this information is helpful. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Employment Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 13 days ago

Happy Friday. I just wanted to check back with you to see if you needed any further assistance.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer