Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm not sure, experiencing significant issues at work during…

Customer Question
I'm not sure, experiencing...

I'm not sure, experiencing significant issues at work during the last 8 months, highlighted by being assigned to three different units, work areas in this time period, significant work volume compared to peers, and I believe being filed for eventual dismissal, Will be sixty in two months, with three kids to support under the age of 18 - don't feel i'n being treated fairly, need to see what my rights are?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's kind of the highlight, in the last few months, I had an extensive battle with bronchitis, flu, during which I worked but was not a 100%

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/30/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Do you have reason to believe the different assignments are abased on your age, race, disability, or gender at all?

Im honestly not sure, I've been put in very difficult situations, with significant realignment transitions throughout the organization and have less experience in the role, more related to processing and mechanics, of which are very intensed and have required a learning curve, with little to no support. Now work is being informally monitored.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I have dealt with some terrible co-workers, managers, and subordinates in my time. It’s one of the reasons I decided to become self-employed is because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Nonetheless, it’s important to analyze the law in this situation. Harassment/retaliation/discrimination is against the law; however, employment law only makes it against the law if the basis of these actions by the employer are based on your race, gender, age, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, or disability. Employment law doesn’t necessarily cover people who act like jerks. In some states, contract law may help if an employer doesn’t act in good faith. Under the Uniform Commercial Code, any party to any agreement (including employment agreements) has to act in good faith with one another. The failure to do so could be a breach of contract. It’s one of the possible legal solutions, but not always the most practical one.

There's more...

I will wait to Monday to further review further, thank you

There are some other things that I could recommend to you to help you deal with this problem now and not just in the courtroom based on my experience in working with thousands of people who have had the same issue. Generally, I recommend that you keep documentation of everything that happened. The frequency, duration, and intensity are going to be important and it’ll make it difficult for them to deny this if you confront them. In addition, you should strongly consider what your employer says about this behavior. With the right documentation and some back up in the employee handbook or policy, it could help you solve this right away. You may want to consider having the people who are willing sign an affidavit (a sworn statement) describing what they saw and heard. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good templates (click here). I also recommend building a support network and getting people involved in the situation who may be advocates for you. They may have practical tips or ideas specific to your industry, your organization, or even your team that could be much more helpful than anything the law could provide.

The one thing that you could do is keep a lawsuit in your back pocket. What I mean by this is if the issues continue, then you may want to consider a lawsuit for intentional infliction of emotional distress. IIED means that if someone is intentionally causing severe emotional distress in another, then you may be able to recover for the damages that occurred (e.g. therapist bills, lost wages, medications, etc.). You would have to prove that you suffered damages, but employees have used this tactic when employers have done the same things yours has.

Hi, I noticed that we never had a chance to reconnect on this. I’m totally ready to help. Did you have any follow up questions for me or any other facts to add? If not, would you be so kind as to rate your opinion of my service?